6 August 2015

Suitcase. Mykonos, Greek Islands - Travel Guide

To say I was excited for my Greek Islands holiday would be a hugeeee understatement. Massive. Having booked about 6 months in advance, not to mention having had it on my planning radar for at least a year, by the time the night before rolled around I was like a 6-year-old on Christmas Eve; even my 3.30am wake-up-call couldn’t dampen my spirits.



And I wasn’t to be disappointed, from the moment I arrived and checked into my hotel it was heavenly…



The first stop on my 9-day long Greek Islands extravaganza took me to Mykonos, an island home to alluring waters, beach parties and a playground for the wealthy.

As soon as I stepped off the plane I knew I was in for a treat, the intense dry heat hit me like a wave and only meant one thing – it was finally time for bikinis!

My favourite nautical bikini here and here

Sights
I was instantly enamoured with all the little winding alleys of Mykonos Town, with its white paved streets and bright bougainvilleas spilling over the roofs…


Pretty pastel doorways...


And the narrow pathways that led to the water where homes and restaurants sat stacked together…



If you're lucky you'll spot the town's local icon Petros, or Peter, the pelican. This little guy wanders around the town and even right into the shops! We found him waiting for some food at the back door of his [rumoured to be] favourite restaurant...


The windmills are also a sight not to be missed, particularly at sunset…


And one morning we woke to find the bay covered in a sleepy little patch of low-lying cloud...


Outside Mykonos Town there’s plenty to see around the island. One day we took a trip over to Panormos Beach which has a real secluded feel and some truly inviting water. If you’re in the mood you can even hire a luxe pillow-sunbed for the day. Perfection.


On the other side of the island you’ll find Platis Gialos which is definitely more a hive of activity and a place where the honeymooners stay if you ask me. The beach is lined with restaurants, cafes and stores which each offer their own sun beds and umbrellas so you can set up camp in style for the day.



Then when you’re well and truly sunned and ready for some cocktails you can head nearby to Paradise Beach for their infamous beach party. Really it’s literally like a club on the sand, with beats blasting out from early afternoon until the wee hours.

This swimsuit is sold out but you can find similar styles here and here or it's still available in white

Transport
There’s so much to see around the island so I recommend hiring a quad bike or scooter if you can, it will make covering the ground much cheaper and faster. Don’t rely on taxis because they are notoriously difficult to track down. Also note that Mykonos Town is car/bike free; its little streets are all too small, so you’ll just need your legs for exploring this neck of the woods.

Food
Ahh Greek food. I’m such a fan. I had some great meals in Mykonos, and cocktails too! There are some lovely bars on the water which make the perfect spot to sip your drink while the sun goes down. Honestly Mykonos had some of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen…

If you have a bit of a sweet tooth then do I have the place for you… It’s the little Greek Bakery tucked away on the top side of Mykonos Town towards the windmills and by the bus stop. I’m sure if you ask anyone they’ll tell you where it is. Check out the goodies they had on display…


My personal favourite is the little ice creams wrapped in baklava. Yum!


Lunchtime in the Greek Islands only means one thing – the humble gyros! For those who aren’t familiar, it’s essentially a kebab but waaaay better with fresh pita bread, your chosen meat, salad, tzatziki and even some hot chips! It was pretty much my go-to everyday and they’re a bargain at €3!


For a really authentic experience then you must go to Kiki’s for lunch. It’s a little place run without electricity not far from Panromos Beach that sits at the top of a beautiful bay.



Kiki’s is run by a cheerful chap who will happily ply you with free water and wine while you wait (there are only 10 tables, each with an hour sitting – it’s open from noon so my tip is to rock up early or late but not inbetween). Everything is cooked on the fire and we had some incredible fresh fish and salads.


Finally, rounding out my foodie experience in Mykonos was a delightful meal I had at Katerina’s on the first night. We had one of the exclusive tables sitting on the balcony right over the top of the water where we sipped wine as the sun set and enjoyed some amazing seafood and moussaka. It was the perfect welcome to a wonderful place.



My first experience in Greece was undoubtedly one to remember. The little town of Mykonos certainly has an infectious vibe, everyone is there to soak up the sun and create some memories. I know I left with plenty of my own…


Next stop Naxos…

Share your comments with me on InstagramFacebook or Twitter.

Photos by Krissie.